Before September 2001, Americans mostly ignored the Taliban. A few noticed when they blew up two colossal statues of the Buddha in Bamiyan province, but otherwise we used them to weaken the Soviet Union.
There’s a similar religious organization in the US. The destruction of religious and cultural objects is one aspect of its agenda called “strategic level spiritual warfare” (SLSW).
Until recently this group was thought of as a fringe evangelical movement, but SLSW is rapidly positioning itself within America’s political right. Their ultimate goal is to replace Democracy with legalistic Theocracy based on ideology known as “Dominionism.” They want to “purify” the world for Christ’s return. It involves their unique interpretion of Revelaton and has implications for foreign policy, war, the Middle East, and domestic laws, education, and eventually our freedoms. This group is up in arms (literally threatening that) over Marriage Equality. This is who’s attacking Planned Parenthood, revising history textbooks, and who has a poorly understood over-representation on Fox News, in viral emails and social media. They are stirring up Islamophobia and beating the drums for war with Iran. They are running candidates for the election of 2016.
In the election of 2008, one of their leaders (C. Peter Wagner) named their political action wing the “New Apostolic Reformation” (NAR). This group anointed Sarah Palin to be President (she’s a member). The person doing the anointing was Thomas Muthee, a Kenyan witch-hunter. In fact, enabling and training missionaries is another major thrust of the NAR; often funded by duping local Christian congregations to believe they’re supporting classical mission work. Muthree starred in NAR’s first “Transformations” video, a pseudo-documentary propaganda piece that advances SLSW ideas and has been seen by 100s of millions. Sarah Palin and her family were members of the Alaskan branch of SLSW for decades; advocating for Alaskan secession from the union and manipulating the state political system for self-aggrandizement.
This election cycle, the NAR is involved with Rick Perry (and his meetings called “The Response”). This is the group that, according to more propaganda videos, wants to destroy the Statue of Liberty as a “demonic idol” and who called Oprah Winfrey the forerunner of “The Harlot”… (an image from Revelation that they can use for their ends). The American Taliban has openly declared Mormonism is demonic. They oppose Roman Catholicism and hate Pope Francis. They are opposed to Women’s Rights and of course are angry about Marriage Equality. They oppose organized Protestant Denominations who they characterize as “just religion” and blocks to one unified American Taliban movement to control all of society and replace all democracies with their “one world government.”
This election, they anointed Ted Cruz. You can probably find a video of that on YouTube.
They don’t call themselves the American Taliban, of course, but I do. I read their published goals and plans in a document called “The Seven Mountains Mandate.” The Seven Mountains they are working to conquer and control are business, government, media, arts and entertainment, education, family, and religion. The American Taliban’s version of one non-denominational apostolic and prophetic “church” is being spread as they take over weak congregations and split them from their home denominations (basically getting free buildings and land and established congregations). They are very sneaky with their message. They also build new entertainment mega-churches. I encounter Dominionists on Facebook all the time who have no idea they’re carrying water for the American Taliban. Dominionism and Legalistic Purges for Christ are very attractive ideas, I guess.
Recently the Assemblies of God (Pentecostal) issued a strong warning statement called “Deviant Teachings Disapproved” aimed squarely at the NAR as it infiltrates their congregations. It didn’t help and many infected local churches are leaving. Locally I see this happening to a lot of congregations, ex-Lutheran, ex-Nazarene, and other non-denominationals. The Protestant Church is fragmenting from their pressure.
Five ways to recognize the infiltration of the American Taliban in your locality:
1. Dualism: they give Satan intrinsic power to cause evil, speak of things like demonic spirits, the Jezebel Spirit, the Harlot Spirit, try to hone their skills as “spiritual warriors” with faith healings, exorcisms, and talk about the Holy Spirit as if they command God. That is they see the spiritual world as a balance of power between Good and Evil and themselves as the fulcrum.
2. Anti-Democracy: they hate our President and basically do not trust democracy to work. They characterize our politics as stealing from the makers to buy the votes of the takers so the sugar-daddy politicians can stay in power… and other similar horrible (racist) spins on American government. They generally favor anything that weakens our government and avoid paying taxes.
3. They have replaced Jesus’ completed work (the fiat) of the Cross with a future fantasy of a pagan-style Clash of the Titans. The outcome of that clash depends on them and their actions, making it not only an ego-centric heresy, but one that knows nothing of inclusion, hospitality, and Christian humility.
4. Their worship generally omits Holy Communion and prayers are often more like pagan prayers attempting to control God rather than submitting ourselves to God.
5. Their idea of “Reconciliation” is they evangelize their position and expect you to change (look up Sam Brownback’s involvement in various “Reconciliation” rituals with the NAR. Yes, he’s a member.). In other words, no debate, no discussion, no compromise. They are 100% sure they’ve figured it out (Thus they are Religious Fundamentalists).
You can repeat those five points with the real Christian position for yourself, if you’d like. If you can’t then let’s discuss. You may have been influenced by the American Taliban.
A few sites are trying to raise the alarm, Talk2Action.org and RightWingWatch.org. But mainstream media seems to be (willfully?) blind to the American Taliban and their recruiting efforts. I challenge us to become informed and aware. The American Taliban is much more dangerous than the Afghanistani Taliban and a lot closer to home.